Tuesday, July 28, 2009

le crash

This is my 100th post. To celebrate I am offering a little gift - see the end of the post for details.

I entered the Tour de France knit along with the hope that the expectation and competition of it all would get me to complete a cardigan in three weeks - I knew it would be a challenge, but was ready to push myself. And I wanted that cardigan.

I started it in the frantic lead up to going on holidays, but thought I could catch up in the time away. I missed two whole days stuck in the air without knitting needles. I took it camping - except we forgot to pack all forms of light and so plans of knitting around the campfire once the kids are asleep were scuttled. I snatched a little time.



But then tragedy struck. An over exuberant small person jumped on my knitting and broke my needle midway through our holiday. I didn't have a spare. I ordered on on the net hoping it would be here when I got home. It wasn't. When I finally got to my emails I had given the wrong credit card info and IT HADN'T BEEN SENT. The replacement arrived on Thursday - but knowing I was so far behind took the fun out of it all and I let myself get distracted. I am still only a third of the way through.

Amelia might just be ready for the end of this winter, but I suspect she is now more likely to be a next winter wear.

And the lesson learned is always carry a spare.

And for post 100 I am offering a skein of my hand dyed 4ply yarn. A lovely semi solid apple green in merino and nylon 80/20.



all you need to do is leave a comment and I will randomly select a winner and make contact. edited to add - you have till Saturday this week when I will draw a name sometime in the afternoon - good luck

12 comments:

DrK said...

i was just about to comment on the previous post that it was good to see you home safe form crocodiles, but obviously the real danger lies in not having spare knitting needles!! TdF was a bit of a bust here. and congrats on the 100 posts!

Michelle said...

Congratulations on getting to 100 posts! It seems like only yesterday that I started reading your blog.

Bugger about the TdF knitting. Double bugger about exuberant small children, as cute as they are. I'm sure we've still got another couple of months of cold weather, so you should be able to use it this year if you finish!

Leonie said...

Such a shame about the broken needle and dodgy credit card details, when a challenge is in place it would be so nice to be able to achieve it. Love the green in the yarn you are giving away, congrats on 100 posts!

Bel said...

Congrats on your 100th post! I've really enjoyed reading them :)

Bells said...

oh my goodness your knitting really was doomed on this trip!! Still, you are sanguine and all is well. I really love that pattern and look forward to seeing a finished one!

Your hand dyed is BEAUTIFUL!

Olivia said...

happy 100th! I love your green yarn. How frustrating to have your holiday knitting plans messed up. I usually have a backup project but that's more because I over-estimate how much time I'll have and how fast I'll knit!

twitchy fingers said...

Go you! 100 lovely posts is a huge achievement and has been a joy to receive.

Anonymous said...

well done on 100 posts. I loved the sound of your trip - even if knitting didn't work out. I mean wow - the family visit, the kids, the parts of Australia, sounded way good from my perspective.

With a Q said...

I'm about to do 23 hours on a plane with no knitting, so sympathise on the wasted knitting time front. On the matter of needles, I think Mr Murphy would say that if you carry a spare you will never break them to need it, but if you don't, look out.
Well done on the 100 posts and your ability to take excited children and broken needles in your stride.

Rose Red said...

Congratulations on 100 posts! Bummer about the knitting, but you'll get there on Amelia and it will be a great cardigan when you do!

Anonymous said...

oh that green is fabulous! lovely giveaway, so sorry to hear about the KAL and the broken needle :( the knitting I started during The Tour may well be finished by next tour!!

Bron said...

wow! that green is gorgeous =)
Congratulations on 100 posts!!!