Saturday, January 30, 2010

a rescue mission

A few days ago two friends and I had a night without children. On such an evening conversation turns to all kinds of things and, of course, at some point leads back to the school our children attend. This time it was particularly the dire state of the craft stall at last year's fete. There was a lot of stuff that just did not sell. It was heartbreaking for me and I can't even imagine how it must have been for the organiser.

We talked about what would make a truly great craft store and at one stage I was even pondering volunteering to coordinate before my friends talked my off the ledge. Instead we would make things, starting now.

One of of my friends had seen a wonderful little knitted toy made by a workmate. She thought it was a seller and even offered to learn to knit for the cause. I never pass up an opportunity to cultivate knitting friends.

The first thing we did when we got home and dispatched the babysitter was a Ravelry search.

It was this sweet little thing.


and then we followed the link to the book and all the other patterns

and before you could say 'how cute is that!' we were on the bookdepository site buying the book.

less than a week later we had the book, the knitting lesson was given and we are off and making.

Any more volunteers out there?

2 comments:

Michelle said...

That's a brilliant idea. Talk to Jo from Brown Owls for more hints if you need them - she ran the Rosary handcrafted stall last year and did really well. She sold some things on commission, including mine and Michelle's. If you end up volunteering for the stall (you should!!) I am more than happy to give you stuff to sell on commission - the pay me the wholesale price on anything you sell, and the school keeps the profits. You might find other crafters are willing to do the same thing.

Anonymous said...

that's a great book! I've had the chance to have a look through it before.

Count me in for helping out. Just tell me what you need.